Saturday 17 August 2013

Odge in a basket


Well once more Oddjob and I set out, this time on the lean streets of Kortrijk (I say lean as everyone’s so slim). Within moments I found myself asking a kind lady for directions, but to my surprise not only did she point in the direction I wanted to go, she insisted on taking me there, right in to the store (quite a way too). In fact almost every Belgium I’ve asked has done the same thing. It’s like being in one big outdoor supermarket back home, where they take you to the product you need.

I’ve tried saying “No its alright, I’ll find it myself from here, thanks anyway”, but they seem insulted by this so better to go along with it making small talk as best you can. On departure you find yourself saying thank you in the most humblest way possible, shaking with both hands and everything to express your gratitude to your maximum capacity.

As I entered the store, security approached me and said it was OK to have Oddjob with me but he must be put in a basket or trolley. I opted for a trolley with a pull out wire basket on the back, and although I was as quick as possible the queue was long and there was lots of dilly dancing going on from an uncomfy Oddjob.

So we were both relieved when leaving the store and he was able to put his now chicken feet back on the ground. The moment we did, the same security guard (probably lying in wait for us) approached me once more saying, as this was a mall, I must carry him from thereon. Strange, as you can go in restaurants and the like with dogs. I was a bit miffed but rules are rules so off we went with me holding Oddjob like a ginger clutch bag under one arm. I got some looks and giggles from passersby, to which I mouthed the words “It’s a man bag”.

Apparently, there’s nowhere in Belgium to walk a dog off a lead, and if the police catch you, or if your dog has a fight with another dog, it’s an €80 fine. We had been walking him off the lead until an English lady put us straight on the rules, luckily, Oddjob’s a yapper not a fighter.

There are very few dogs in Kortrijk in comparison to where we were living in England. Oddjob can go a whole day without seeing another mutt, only us humans to contend with, poor lad.

Shopping in Belgium is a unique experience, and if there’s nowhere open you can still rustle up a meal. Fresh food such as bread and eggs and almost anything else (from blank CD’s to washing powder) are available from 24 hour machines (see photo).



In fact for a city in miniature there’s everything to hand, it even supports a man made beach (with bar), two cinemas an outdoor pool and a skate bowl to name but a few. Tracy and I quite often find ourselves stumbling upon a show or band provided free by the city.



On one occasion, they were hosting a cycling event attended by many of the latest Tour de France competitors (no Chris Froome unfortunately, one local implied he was too expensive!) and there was an exciting cycle race around the city streets (see pic).



Even the alcoholics are catered for. Instead of what we’re familiar with back home, car seats and bonfires, the city has provided a proper weather-proof shelter in the park (although I have only ever seen one and he greeted me with a wave, a smile and friendly ‘good morning’).

Kortrijk, seems blessed by very little in the way of crime, the streets are free from litter and everyone goes about their business in an orderly fashion.

One night we decided to go to the local cinema and to our absolute amazement they had a makeshift tree in the foray to hang your coat on which was not watched over.  We couldn’t bring ourselves to leave our coats upon it, as our hard drives are programed to keep a good hold on belongings with a white knuckle grip.

That wasn’t the only thing that amazed us, There were no seats as such, but square sponge sofas that stretched the width of the room, row after row in bright colors. If you pushed back they reclined slightly with (and I know this it going to sound crazy) scatter cushions yes scatter cushions, strewn willy nilly.

By the time the film finished we were so comfy we didn’t want to leave, fortunately the Belgiums don’t stand up until the credits have rolled through to the end and the lights are bright once more. The joy of still having the feeling in our bum cheeks when we stood to leave, well what can I say?  


Beach by the river Leie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your message here: